Furniture Program (Students)
The furniture program helps new international students and scholars who have just arrived in Madison and need furniture. There is a non-refundable handling charge from $1 to $30 per item. Furniture loaned should be returned to MFIS when no longer needed. Most of the furniture has been donated by Madison residents, and may be heavily used. Click here for more on How the Furniture Loan Operates.
The storage garage, donated by Dale Heights Presbyterian Church (which plays no other role in the furniture program) is behind the church at 5501 University Avenue. It is open to students and donors during the following times:
- The first Saturday of each month from 11:30-12:30, except December, January, June and July.
- Open ALSO the last 2 Saturdays of August and the first Saturday in September, 9-12:30 AM. In 2013 those additional dates are August 24, 31 and September 7.
Students who cannot come during regular hours can call or email the MFIS office to ask for an appointment with the Furniture Program Coordinator. (When you are ready to move in you may contact him directly: Mike vonS, 608/233-3051, email@example.com, giving the address of your apartment and the times you can come to the furniture storage.)
Students and donors are encouraged to find their own transportation for moving the furniture, but often delivery can be arranged. A map of the Furniture Storage Place. To email the MFIS office click MFIS.
Other sources for inexpensive, used furniture:
• Garage sales: A U.S. tradition! Walk or drive around local neighborhoods and look for families advertising small sales in their yards or garages, generally on Fridays and Saturdays in the summer months. ---- The next 3 generally will NOT have beds:
• The SWAP sale on Fridays and some Saturdays, 1061 Thousand Oaks Trail, Verona, WI 53593. SWAP has primarily office furniture like chairs, desks, shelves, and computers. Click for SWAP information.
• “Goodwill Industries” and “Saint Vincent de Paul” Stores. Look for local store locations in the Business section of the Madison phone book or online.
• The HospiceCare Thrift Store, 122 Junction Road, Madison, WI 53717.